Everest is an upcoming British-American biographical disaster film directed by Baltasar Kormákur and written by William Nicholson and Simon Beaufoy. The film stars Jason Clarke, Josh Brolin, John Hawkes, Robin Wright, Michael Kelly, Sam Worthington, Keira Knightley, Emily Watson, and Jake Gyllenhaal. Everest is out September 18 2015. Below are 7 interesting facts about its production:
1. The film is based on various books about the 1996 Mount Everest disaster, including Jon Krakauer’s Into Thin Air.
2. This movie is based on the worst disaster to ever occur in the Mount Everest region in Nepal, but a striking coincidence occurred when Everest was being shot there. An avalanche on April 18 2014 killed 16 people on Everest and the casualty was higher than the 1996 disaster which this movie is based on. The shooting had to be postponed and the disaster took the most lives ever taken in an Everest Disaster.
3. Christian Bale was planned to play the role of Rob Hall, but left to appear in Exodus: Gods and Kings instead. After this, director Baltasar Kormákur decided to transform the film to an ensemble version of the story.
4. Jason Clarke replaced Christian Bale in both Everest and Terminator Genisys.
5. The story and some scenes were borrowed from the 1998 IMAX film also titled Everest.
6. Rob Hall, played by Jason Clarke, was the first person to climb Everest 5 times. His wife Jan, played by Keira Knightley went on to be the second New Zealand woman to reach the summit of Everest.